Zante airport is the 6th busiest in Greece with many low cost airlines now flying to Zante island from the UK during the summer months. In the winter only domestic flights operate this route.
Airport Virtual Tour
Baggage Check In Area
Baggage Collection Hall
Exit to Zakynthos!
The new airport which became fully operational in 2008 is a vast improvement over the old (cramped, dirty & smelly) airport. Now you don't have to spend an hour or two in the mid-day sun waiting to get inside to check in your luggage. But there are a couple of issues that it's best to be aware of:
1. More often than not they only open one check-in desk per flight resulting in a huge queue which can take anything up to 2 hours to complete. That's why the reps are so keen to get you to the airport early.
2. There is a shortage of seats both before and after passport control. There is plenty of space so hopefully they will sort this out.
3. The airlines have started charging for any tiny amount over your baggage allowance & it's not cheap! Try to remember the weight of your luggage on the way out & just because you were allowed a couple of kilos extra don't expect to get away with it on the way back! The duty-free shop inside has reasonable prices so buy your booze there & take it as hand luggage.
4. The snack bars make UK airports look cheap & don't display prices despite this being a legal requirement. Ask the price of everything just to annoy them!
5. Smoking is not allowed, although no one will actually stop you unless someone complains, so if you don't annoy anyone you will probably get away with it.
6. According to the staff at the airport you are not guaranteed to be allowed to board the aircraft unless you are at the airport at least 3 hours before the flight. Flights can & do sometimes leave an hour or two before the scheduled time & if you are arranging your own transfers you will probably not be aware of any changes.